In the warm-up to the 2014 Sydney Eisteddfod, its staff and supporters are celebrating the restoration of one of its most spectacular trophies, the City of Sydney Cup.
Dr Henry Smalpage donated the trophy to Sydney Eisteddfod in 1933 to encourage 'Perpetual Competition Amongst Male Voice Choirs.' The trophy made headlines in 1938 when the Combined Coalfield Male Choir celebrated its victory by surging from The Assembly Hall into Margaret Street. Shouldering their conductor Robert Dixon and brandishing the massive trophy overhead, the burly miners brought traffic to a halt, singing hymns of praise in the city street. Their impromptu performance delighted bystanders and police turned a blind eye to their activities.