January 6, 2017
Some 48 Australian ballet dancers tried out to participate in the 2017 Prix de Lausanne with 10 talented ones making the final selection – and nine of those are Sydney Eisteddfod alumni!
On in Lausanne, Switzerland, from January 30 to February 4, the “Prix” is an international competition for young dancers of any nationality aged 15 to 18 who are not yet professionals.
There were 338 candidates (244 girls and 94 boys) from 36 different countries who applied for the video selection stage, taking place from October 27th to 30th, 2016.
With 10 participants in the final, Australia was second only to Japan with 13 dancers. Entrants Joshua Jack Price and Tyla Steinbach were finalists in the 2016 Sydney Eisteddfod Ballet Scholarship.
Sydney Eisteddfod chief executive officer Piroozi Desai-Keane wishes them all the very best of luck.
"Each year we see some incredibly talented young dancers on our stages so I’m thrilled to see that nearly all Australians taking part in this year’s Prix de Lausanne are Sydney Eisteddfod alumni, one of them being Joshua Price, our 2016 Sydney Eisteddfod Ballet Scholarship runner-up,” she said.
“I hope they thoroughly enjoy the experience."
Joshua Price, from Robina, QLD, said being selected was a dream come true.
“For years I have watched and aspired to be one of the dancers on that stage when I was older – and now the moment has come!” he beamed.
“Previous candidates have told me of the friendships, connections and opportunities that the Prix de Lausanne brings to young dancers. The experience gained from the classes, travelling, school directors observing and the competition is extremely important for dancers preparing to enter a professional career.”
Prix de Lausanne artistic director and chief executive officer Shelly Power said 2016 was a “remarkable year” with an unprecedented amount of applicants wishing to take part in the competition.
The Sydney Eisteddfod alumni competing at the 2017 Prix de Lausanne are:
- Rose Dalton (Tanya Pearson Classical Coaching Academy) – Concord, NSW
- Thomas Dilley (Premiere Elite) – Bateau Bay, Central Coast, NSW
- Heidi Freeman (KCs School of Dance) – Warragul, VIC
- Brayden Gallucci (Alegria Dance Studios) – Belmont, Hunter Region, NSW
- Joshua Jack Price (Amanda Bollinger Dance Academy) – Robina, QLD
- Jessi Seymour (Alegria Dance Studios) - Bonnet Bay, NSW
- Alexander Smith (Tanya Pearson Classical Coaching Australia) – Forest Lodge, NSW
- Tyla Steinbach (Tanya Pearson Classical Coaching Australia) – Lane Cove, NSW
- Isabella Wagar (Jane Moore Academy of Ballet) – Glen Iris, VIC
* EDITORS NOTE: Contact details and images can be provided upon request.
Media Liaison and Public Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 9261 8366.