The following rules and conditions are specific to the INSTRUMENTAL GROUPS Category. Please ensure you also read the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
1. Registration and performance rules are strictly enforced. Please refer to the General Rules & Conditions of Entry Items 17 to 28.
2. Time limits allow for the presentation of ONE OR MORE ITEMS, published or unpublished unless otherwise stipulated, provided they fit within the nominated time limits. Limits are strictly monitored and entrants exceeding the ‘Total Performance Time’ will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing. Please refer to Item 27 in the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
3. A different item is required for each event unless repeats are specifically allowed. Items performed in a Heat must be repeated in the Final unless otherwise stipulated.
4. If it is specifically indicated that an item may be repeated, it may be repeated ONLY ONCE except when progressing to a Final. An entrant found repeating an item other than where allowed will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing.
5. A copy of complete scores, in order of performance, with bars numbered, must be provided. Specific genre items (eg Swing) and Grades must also be identified on scores.
6. EACH SCORE, in performance order, labelled with Event & Entrant numbers MUST BE provided for the adjudicator. Only original published music will be returned. Photocopies will not be returned as per APRA/AMCOS Policy.
7. Non-playing conductors may conduct any number of ensembles.
8. Event 285 - School Chamber Music - In this category only, the ruling about performing only once in an event may be waived for a school student who plays a different instrument in another ensemble. Written requests for a student to appear twice must come from the School at least one month in advance of the event affected, and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final.
9. A group to represent ONE SCHOOL ONLY except in Percussion Ensemble Events. Please refer to Item 13 below. Group comprising students from two or more schools is not allowed except in special circumstances for local and regional and certain interstate schools at the discretion of Sydney Eisteddfod. Groups MUST SEND IN WRITTEN APPLICATIONS at least one month in advance of the event affected, with all relevant details to email@example.com for special consideration and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final.
10. In school events, non-students are not permitted to perform accompaniment. Teachers are not permitted to accompany their groups.
11. Cross elevation of advanced juniors is allowed. For events where multiple levels are offered (Novice, Intermediate or Premium) students are not permitted to perform in more than one level.
12. The display of band banners or other identification is not allowed.
13. PERCUSSION ENSEMBLES: If a student is performing twice in the same event, written request has to come from the group/school at least three weeks in advance of the event affected, and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final. Please refer to item 8 above.