The following rules and conditions are specific to the CONTEMPORARY SINGING category. Please ensure you also read the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
1. Performances are for soloists unless an event indicates otherwise.
2. Registration and performance rules are strictly enforced. Please refer to the General Rules & Conditions of Entry Items 17 to 28.
3. COMPULSORY FESTIVAL e-PROGRAM: Purchase of an Festival e-Program is compulsory for all entrants. Teachers submitting entries for individual students MUST PURCHASE a Festival e-Program for each soloist, except where they share the same family address. As the online entry form only allows for one compulsory Festival e-Program on checkout, teachers who enter multiple students on the SAME online entry form are requested to email: firstname.lastname@example.org to complete their compulsory Festival e-Program purchase requirements.
4. TEACHER’S PASS:
a) SOLOS/DUOS: Teachers who have submitted 10 or more students in SOLO events will be eligible for ONE Festival Pass. To claim, they should email: email@example.com no later than Friday 28 May 2021 giving details of each student's name and the event number they are entered. Please allow 10 working days to receive this Pass in the mail. An administrative charge of $10 needs to be paid, so please be sure to arrange for this payment at the same time as when applying.'
b) GROUPS: One Free Admission ticket PER GROUP will be issued by the Session Manager when registering and this is given to the person who submits the material for the adjudicator. Normal admission charges apply to all other helpers/supervisors with the group should they wish to see the performance.
5. Time limits allow for the presentation of ONE OR MORE ITEMS, unless otherwise stipulated, provided they fit within the nominated time limits. Limits are strictly monitored and entrants exceeding ‘Total Performance Time’ will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing. Please refer to Item 27 in the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
6. A different item is required for each event unless repeats are specifically allowed. Items performed in a Heat must be repeated in the Final unless otherwise stipulated.
7. If it is specifically indicated that an item may be repeated, it may be repeated ONLY ONCE except when progressing to a Final. An entrant found repeating an item other than where allowed will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing.
8. The use of microphones is compulsory in this category. These are usually handheld on stands and sometimes cordless. The piano will be amplified but MAY not be positioned centre stage.
9. Published or unpublished work is allowed unless the event states otherwise. Personal transposition of music is permitted in contemporary singing events.
10. Unless otherwise mentioned in the event, adjudication will be based on originality of style, delivery, vocal ability, stagecraft and overall presentation, which includes audience communication.
a) No official accompanist provided for Events 60-87. Singers are responsible for their own accompaniment.
b) See ‘Directory of Accompanists’ in Entrant Corner.
c) Unless specified otherwise, events are for solo voice with piano and/or guitar accompaniment or self-accompanied or recorded backing, which must be on a CD. In case of CD failure and subject to the venue, USB or smart phone may be used, as a backup.
12. RECORDED BACKING TRACK:
a) The Backing Track must NOT HAVE recorded vocals in any part (lead, backing or harmony). If there are any instrumental sounds, which could be mistaken for ‘the human voice’, please inform the Session Manager when submitting your CD or USB. Any protest on the day of the competition about ‘vocals on CD’ must be lodged immediately with the Session Manager so that the CD is checked before adjudication. Please refer to Item 47 in the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
b) Please ensure the CDs are burned properly and clearly marked with Entrant Number and Event Number, as per the guidelines given, and tested in a music system (not on a computer or car music player). In case of CD failure and subject to the venue, USB or smart phone may be used, as a backup.Do not use labels on CD as this may cause CD player failure. See Entrant Corner for CD Policy.
c) USB must be clearly named with a tag including Entrant Number & Event Number. Usbs will NOT BE ACCEPTED if this information is not clearly marked. There must only be ONE file on the USB handed in for the Audio Technician to play. If more than one file is on the usb this will hold up the event and marks may be deducted.
d) The CD or USB must be handed to the Session Manager WITH THE TITLE OF THE ITEM/S when registering at least 15 minutes before the start of the session or event ‘EST’ time. Printed music is not required for the adjudicator.
e) After receiving revised advice from APRA/AMCOS, Sydney Eisteddfod will once again RETURN CDs TO ENTRANTS. These need to be collected with the reports at the conclusion of each event. CDs will only be kept for one week after the conclusion of an event, after which they will be securely destroyed & recycled.
f) No person, unless authorised, may sit with the sound operator.
13. PROPRIETY: The use of explicit language is prohibited. Singers should avoid items of an overtly sexual or undignified nature. Make-up, costumes and choice of songs should be suitable to the age of the singer and sexually explicit actions avoided. It is incumbent on teachers and parents to ensure that all competitors dress age appropriately. Marks may be deducted by the adjudicator.
14. Subject to the venue, there may be no warm-up or dressing room facilities. Entrants are called from the auditorium except in a Final.
15. PROPS: Simple hand-held props (basket, scarf, doll, flowers, etc) are permitted only if actually used in the routine. Free-standing props must be no larger than an average chair and are to be placed on stage by only the entrant.
16. In the event of Covid-19 restrictions causing live events, and consequently Sydney Eisteddfod live events to be cancelled, you will be asked to submit a private video submission for your event.