The following rules and conditions are specific to the INSTRUMENTAL GROUPS Category. Please ensure you also read the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
1. Registration and performance rules are strictly enforced. Please refer to the General Rules & Conditions of Entry Items 17 to 28.
2. Time limits allow for the presentation of ONE OR MORE ITEMS, published or unpublished unless otherwise stipulated, provided they fit within the nominated time limits. Limits are strictly monitored and entrants exceeding the ‘Total Performance Time’ will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing. Please refer to Item 27 in the General Rules & Conditions of Entry.
3. A different item is required for each event unless repeats are specifically allowed. Items performed in a Heat must be repeated in the Final unless otherwise stipulated.
4. If it is specifically indicated that an item may be repeated, it may be repeated ONLY ONCE except when progressing to a Final. An entrant found repeating an item other than where allowed will be eligible for ‘comments only’ - not for a placing.
5. A copy of complete scores, in order of performance, with bars numbered, must be provided. Specific genre items (eg Swing) and Grades must also be identified on scores.
6. EACH SCORE, in performance order, labelled with Event & Entrant numbers MUST BE provided for the adjudicator. Only original published music will be returned. Photocopies will not be returned as per APRA/AMCOS Policy.
7. Non-playing conductors may conduct any number of ensembles.
8. Event 285 - School Chamber Music - In this category only, the ruling about performing only once in an event may be waived for a school student who plays a different instrument in another ensemble, OR if the musician is a bonafide member of both a community group and a school group performing in the same event. Written requests for a student to appear twice must come from the School at least one month in advance of the event affected, and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final.
9. A group to represent ONE SCHOOL ONLY except in Percussion Ensemble Events. Please refer to Item 19 below. Group comprising students from two or more schools is not allowed except in special circumstances for local and regional and certain interstate schools at the discretion of Sydney Eisteddfod. Groups MUST SEND IN WRITTEN APPLICATIONS at least one month in advance of the event affected, with all relevant details to firstname.lastname@example.org for special consideration and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final.
10. In school events, non-students are not permitted to perform accompaniment. Teachers are not permitted to accompany their groups.
11. Cross elevation of advanced juniors is allowed. For events where multiple levels are offered (Novice, Intermediate or Premium) students are not permitted to perform in more than one level.
12. The display of band banners or other identification is not allowed.
13. Leaders and helpers are requested to organise their groups on stage with a minimum of delay. Extraneous stands and chairs will not be struck.
14. Marshals are responsible for the movement of groups for the efficient conduct of the session, and their instructions must be followed or disqualification may result.
15. WARM-UP for large groups: If a suitable room is available, each group in an event will be allocated equal warm-up time. This time will be less than the event performance time limit (refer to each event) and commences from the time the group enters the warm-up room.
16. SET-UP & TUNING: From the moment the last musician walks on stage, a maximum of 3 minutes is allowed for setting up and tuning of any instruments. NO BELL will be rung at the expiration of this timing, but the clock for the performance will commence. Groups in the venue must, at the direction of marshals, be seated in the auditorium until called.
17. EQUIPMENT: Please be sure to read the Event Conditions to confirm which instrumentation your event allows, or if in doubt please send in an email enquiry to: email@example.com
a) PROVIDED BY SYDNEY EISTEDDFOD (only where event conditions allow):
Note: See Entrant corner for Equipment provided & Stage Plans
Maximum of 60 chairs and 50 music stands, a grand piano, and a large complement of percussion instruments are provided for events in this category. Instruments additional to those provided must be supplied by the group.
b) Brought in by the musicians:
- Small instruments, taken out of their cases, will remain with individual musicians and be taken into the auditorium as the groups arrive to be seated.
- For larger instruments (e.g. cellos, double bass, etc) a space will be provided in the foyer where the groups can store their instruments – provided these are supervised by someone from each group, as Sydney Eisteddfod cannot be responsible for them.
c) A questionnaire will be sent to all groups prior to the date of their performance. Groups are requested to provide as much information as possible, including special requirements such as extra chairs, stands, number of LARGE instruments (e.g. cello, bass, etc, which cannot be taken into the auditorium) being brought in, when putting in the entry under ‘NOTES’ ON THE ENTRY FORM or email firstname.lastname@example.org NO later than a month before the performance date in order to make appropriate arrangements within the venue.
d) HELPERS WITH SCHOOL GROUPS: ONE helper’s pass per TEN students will be issued on the day. Conductors and Accompanists are considered ‘helpers’. These helpers need to remain with the group at all times, including going with them into the warm-up room, settling the group on stage, assisting and supervising the group after their performance.
18. JAZZ & STAGE ENSEMBLES: Two microphones with an amplifier will be provided, one for the vocalist and one for instrumental soloist.
19. PERCUSSION ENSEMBLES: If a student is performing twice in the same event, written request has to come from the group/school at least three weeks in advance of the event affected, and the decision of Sydney Eisteddfod will be final. Please refer to item 8 above.